Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Review: Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

Finding Audrey
Publication Date: June 9, 2015
Hardcover, 288 pages, Delacorte Books
Genres: YA, Contemporary

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Shopaholic series comes a terrific blend of comedy, romance, and psychological recovery in a contemporary YA novel sure to inspire and entertain.

An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.

My Review

Oh, the cute! Oh, the fun! Oh, the laugh-out-louds! Basically, this book is a riot of jolly good times.

Audrey may be having a bad past few months or so, what with her anxiety order and all, but that won’t stop her family from being, well… her family. Her older brother, Frank, has managed to find himself addicted to videogames, which Audrey’s mother does not find acceptable. Her dad’s kind of oblivious to it all and her little brother just can’t stop being adorably weird. But once Frank’s friend Linus starts coming around, Audrey may find herself going from rock bottom to being the tip of an arrow that never stops pointing up.

In her sort of self-titled book, Audrey is probably portrayed as the most serious person in her family, and that’s saying a lot because she’s quite the comedian herself. And she’s kind of a celebrity, just ask her neighbor Oliver. However, the moments between Frank and his mother are just too hilarious to even compare. Plus, Audrey’s mysterious issue provided way too much false tension for a book that was wrapped up in so many giggles. Of course, Audrey’s newfound tendency to shut the world out is a great representation of just how poorly people look down on others with mental illnesses, but how did Audrey get like this? Readers need to know.

And if we mosey on over to the setting of this story, a reader might be a little baffled by the fact that about 90% of the plot takes place in Audrey’s home. The other 10% takes place at Starbucks. So all you Starbucks lovers, you’ll adore this cute contemporary read. Oh, and you’ll probably want a Caramel Frappuccino before, during, and after. Blend all this with a touch of UK and you get a unique setting within a not-so-unique setting.

And while the book does a great job telling a witty and charming story that portrays mental illness in a less serious manner, while still maintaining its overall seriousness, be prepared for an ending that may seem to come too soon and that’ll have you wishing you hadn’t found Audrey so the entertainment will never end.

**Note: I borrowed a copy of this book from the Book Review Board of Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!